Sunday, August 9, 2009

Debt on a Shared Credit Card?

My grandmother had a credit card that my mothers name was also on but only my grandmother used it. When she died the card had thousands of dollars owed. Because the card is also in my mothers name does she have to pay?



Debt on a Shared Credit Card?

Yes she will have to pay the dept.simply because her name is on the card..........my boss was going through a divorce and asked his lawyer if he was responsible for his wife%26#039;s credit card depts the lawyer told him not if his name did not apear on any of her cards....if his name was on the card ...yes he would be responsible.



Debt on a Shared Credit Card?

Unfortunately, since your mothers name was also on it, then both names on the card are responsible for payment.



Debt on a Shared Credit Card?

Yes. My mother and I shared a credit card (actually more than one)and when she filed for bankruptcy a few years ago, every one of the companies came after me. I rarely used the card, but still I had to pay or ruin my credit. Sounds unfair, but it%26#039;s true.



Debt on a Shared Credit Card?

Unfortunately, she will be liable for the balance owed.



Debt on a Shared Credit Card?

Yes.



Can%26#039;t she take it out of your grammy%26#039;s life insurance (hopefully she had some!)?



Debt on a Shared Credit Card?

Yes. But she can workout the terms of the card with the credit card company - they may be willing to accept low or no interest for up to a year so your mom can get on her feet. It stinks that your mom is responsible for the debt, but she should call the card company and try to work something out.



Debt on a Shared Credit Card?

If it is a joint account then your mother is responsible for the debt. If your mother is an authorized user the account is reported on her credit history, but she is technical not required to pay the balance.



In either case your grandmother%26#039;s estate has at least shared responsibility for the debt. Your mother should probably talk to the executor of the estate and explain that this debt was from the grandmother using the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment